Friday, June 18, 2010

Chewy Granola Bars

We go through a lot of granola bars in our house. They usually are some chocolate variety, but I do enjoy other flavors.

I am going on a trip next week to Big Bend National Park, and I needed some good portable hiking food. This seemed like a great time to try out a granola bar recipe. I found a great recipe to try that had some wiggle room for ingredient combinations. I am just completely thrilled with the way these came out. They are, as promised, super chewy and delicious. I really like the combination of mix-ins I used, and I can't wait to try some more combinations after I return!




















Chewy Granola Bars

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups quick oats
3 T wheat germ
Variety A - 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup cashew pieces
Variety B - 1/2 cup cashew pieces, 1/2 cup craisins

1. Preheat oven to 350 *F.
2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, peanut butter, honey, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
3. Mix in oats & wheat germ.
4. Add desired mix-ins, approximate 1 cup of anything that sounds good (chocolate chips, craisins, raisins, cashews, pecans, peanuts, almonds, anything!)
5. Press tightly into 8x8 inch baking dish and bake at 350 *F for 18-20 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
6. Remove from oven and place dish on cooling rack. When mostly cool, turn onto cutting board and cut into 12 pieces. Store in airtight container.

Source: adapted from allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment