Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Strawberry Sorbet

I am in love with strawberries. I've always kind of liked them, but about a year ago I became obsessed. I want to eat them every day, my favorite way is to slice them with a little cinnamon & sugar sprinkled on top. That's really all I need, but lately I've had so many strawberries around the house (how can I resist when they are about a dollar a pound?!) that I've been wanting to try something new.

I ran across a blog entry about sorbet, and decided to try a strawberry sorbet. This recipe turned out delicious straight from the ice cream maker. The perfect soft consistency, just lovely. It was also good a few hours later after it had a chance to freeze.














Strawberry Sorbet

1 pound of strawberries, tops removed
1/3 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
1.5 tsp cornstarch
1.5 tsp water
1 lemon

1. Puree strawberries in food processor until smooth.
2. Stir strawberries, sugar, and salt together in a saucepan. Heat on the stove until the mixture is warm and the sugar is dissolved.
3. In a small dish, combined the water and cornstarch, then transfer the mixture into the puree. Mix thoroughly.
4. Remove from the heat and add the juice of one lemon to the mixture.
5. Allow the mixture to cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
6. Freeze the mixture in your ice cream mixer. (Mine takes about 30 minutes)

You can eat the sorbet immediately after removing it from the ice cream maker, or you can transfer it to a plastic container and put it in the freezer for later.

Two variations to try:
1. Add a few dashes of cinnamon to the puree mixture after heating.
2. Add a handful of mini chocolate chips to the mixture when it has 5 minutes left in the ice cream mixer.

Source: adapted from allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment